3. What does a Priest do?
Posted on 14. Feb, 2012
The priest is called to live out the mission of Jesus through teaching and spreading the Good News, acting as a shepherd for the community he serves and celebrating the sacraments.
It is almost impossible to describe a typical day in the life of a priest. The role of a priest is to care for the community he serves and in responding to their needs every day is different. Some of the daily tasks of a priest include:
- Welcome children into the Church through Baptism
- Care for the elderly
- Celebrating Mass in the parish
- Visit schools
- Prepare couples planning to get married
- Spending time with those in need
- Working with youth clubs in the community
- Visit the sick in hospital
- Organise retreats for adult faith formation
- Get involved in local justice and peace issues
- Celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation